Sunday 28 October 2012

Written task

  (I will write the rationale in the following post.)

This is the big one, hope you enjoy:

"Today was a very strange day, I mean we have a nice family Sabbath and I turn 13th the day before  although there was something strange in the air and I couldn`t tell what it was, I think it have something to do with the germans as most of the chat on the meeting was about  all the rumours that stay they are getting closer to Budapest. Anyways I have a quite nice time and even my mother and father didn`t have any discussion, as they usually have about even non-importance things, like if the kosher was too cook or not. 

At about midnight I was tired so I went to bed, but the problem was that I couldn`t sleep much since at around 6:00 am I reckon, I was awaked by a powerful noise that was coming from the outside. I tried to ignore it but it was too anoying so I didn`t have any option but to open the window and  take a looked at what was going on. I was astonished , in the street a very peculiar show was going on, as some people were running from  many men dressed in the same clothes  and some of them running, others marching, all of them with guns,and I could see the same scene whereas I look. I quickly realize then that they were Germans and I deduced they must have entered the city and take it very fast. Anyways  it was too early and I was still tired so I find nothing bette than went back to my bed  and fall sleep, I mean actually I wasn`t very interested  in that stuff back then.

I remember that the next days were of great disorder in the city. First the germans were gathering mass groups of people iin different points  of the city as I was told by my father. When we get to the nearest point from our house. The line move fast and when we get to the control desk, they asked us many things, much of them common as I reckon, except one that it seems they asked everyone there, I wouldn`t care of it but that question look very important for them as they insisted a lot in it, and it was who was Jewish and who wasn`t one. Naturally my parents answer that we were Jewish and after that it was strange since the officer did not ask any more questions and send us  to another line that turn out to be eternal for me.As time passed I was annoyed  because those who weren`t Jewish could just leave the place and went to their homes and  those who  were Jewish, were just like us in that infinite lines. 

Finally we were the first ones in the line and we were given a "yellow star" wich we were instructed to have at all times cause if not we will get punished, before leaving the officer tell something to my parents that totally aggravate their faces but still we  leave quite quickly. On the way home we stoped at a grocery were my mother have a really nasty discussion with the owner since prices were  far more expensive for jewish than the rest of the people, wich I think was totally non sense.

 Until that moment I didn`t find anything so terrible, but the next day the worst thing happen. We were having breakfast when a German officer knock the door and when my parents went, I heared that my mom started crying. I was a bit worried since she don`t usually cry but when they came back they were silent and that uncomfortable silent stay for the rest of the breakfast. When I was leaving to my room, my dad stoped me and asked me to packed evetyhing I consider important, and when I asked him why, he just  answer me that a dark cloud was coming and then he hug me for a quite long time. Don`t ask me why but when I was packing I realized we were being moved from our house and that was why my fathers were so upset during the last day and breakfast.

Time passed and we were bored waiting for the truck to pass. We were outside our house and after two hours  the truck finally pass. We went on board after having to left one bag behind, as those were the "orders",just one bag for person. After that we began the trip through the dark and ruin streets of Budapest after all the air raids and gun firing. It was a very long trip for me and I was kinda depressed by looking at the crumbling city.

When we finally arrive to our new place, that seems like a complex for me, I was surprised by two things. First everyone there was Jewish as we could saw; ans the secong thing was that I could only figure out one word to describe the whole place and our apartment, and it was "small". We could not asked for anything better although, since those who protested we saw that were being punished, according to rumours tortured, and  send to  "labour camps" as germans called them. We couldn`t get out of there unless for work and food was expensive and scarce. I remember that I was hoping that situation to end soon but in the meanwhile  I maked new friends in school back then and I quickly get used to wearing the star. At that time my mom start dicussing again with my father and  eeverything stay went back to "normal". Although I  remember I was not sure about what would have happened in the future just as I am now...

No comments:

Post a Comment